Our Teach BIG Conference Center and Retreat in Kemah, TX, boasts of quality content training and pampering that compares to a resort getaway! Be ready to receive the Language Arts training of a career, all the while enjoying complimentary chocolate covered strawberries, homemade milkshakes, and snow cones. Don’t forget to enjoy one of our many photo booths to show the teachers back home that you are partaking in the best and most interACTIVE inservice EVER!
What we offer at our Kemah, TX Conferences:
- At each Institute, participants will make-and-take everything they need to implement the curriculum in their classroom. All of the tactile games and activities will be organized into a bucket for ease of use and classroom implementation. By the end of the week, each bucket will be full of individual activities, small group games, and whole group manipulatives. How amazing will it be to start your school year with everything you need for reading or writing assembled and ready to go?
- Each participant will receive 200 pages of black-line curriculum masters at the Teach Big Conference Center and Retreat.
- You will begin the day with fresh, complimentary breakfast, and two hand-made snacks will be prepared with creativity in mind. The pampering you will receive on our campus will be just as memorable as the incredible content. If you choose to stay on campus for lunch, we have a menu on site that is sure to delight!
- Our trainings will be complete with rubrics that assess content areas in which you may take a concrete grade, but also those that are abstract. These easy-to-use rubrics will assess general communication skills, listening skills, and speaking skills.
- Throughout the week, you will have the opportunity to participant in voluntary competitions. Not only will you will walk away with great ideas that will translate into your classroom, but you may win some great prizes that will grow your curriculum and classroom support even more.
Tap & Think Reading Institute
Our Tap and Think Reading features an incredible, brain-based method for comprehension and recalling reading selections. At each grade level, participants will experience concrete aspects of comprehension including: author’s purpose, author’s perspective, elements of literature, literary devices, and emotional changes/growth. In addition, higher level, abstract concepts will be covered. Teachers will explore new strategies and ways of looking at inferencing, summarizing, main idea, and theme. They will become even more aware of the question-based terminology by applying strategies to mock assessment passages. Participants will see just how connected reading and writing truly are!
Composition Writing Institute
At the PK-2 level, teachers will experience Literary Foundations and Expository curriculum. They will walk away with tactile-kinesthetic strategies for Narrative, Poetry, Letter, Expository, and Research writing. Grades 3-8 will participate in our BRAND NEW Expository Inservice days. Teachers will dive into expository prompts, introductions, development, transitions and conclusions beyond anything they’ve seen before! Teachers grades 9-12 will explore Expository and Persuasive writing. Throughout our program, students will explore logos, pathos, and ethos rationale. Additionally, they will cover expository and persuasive compositions from prompt to product using brain-based games and activities.
Editing & Revising Institute
At each grade level, teachers will tackle the objective portion of the assessment. Through grade-level appropriate content, participants will experience parts of speech and grammar rules through brain-based games and activities. They will explore: Nouns, Pronouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Prepositions, Adverbs, Punctuation, Capitalization, Commas, and more! Furthermore, this seminar goes on to address sentence structure, word usage, and sentence quality as students become R.O.C.K. stars! Participants will leave with tangible strategies that will aid in students not only preparing for assessment time, but also for their lifetime.
Raising the B.A.R.R. Institute
Assessment changes are coming! Are you ready?!? Introducing Raising the B.A.R.R. (Brief Answer Reading Responses)! This 2-8 seminar will focus on the vertical alignment from the beginning by including grades 2-8 in one room. Participants will experience-
- Reading Source Comprehension
- Analyzing Reading Sources
- Gathering Textual Evidence
- Developing a Claim
- Supporting Ideas
- Making Text Connections
- Developing Complete Brief Responses
- and much more!